Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Can You Teach an Old Dog, New Tricks?

I've seen this way too many times. In fact, I have fallen victim to this diabolical plan before. The plan is simple. You find a guy and begin to date. He's not perfect but really who is? So as time goes on, you "tweak" a few things you don't especially care for.

For example, the clothes he wears. You take him out of his tee-shirt and worn jeans and dress him in a nice Banana Republic button up, nice pair of J Crew jeans, and black dress shoes. You even get him to wear black socks with black shoes! All just minor "tweaks", but soon those "tweaks" turn into major overhauls.

That's where it begins. You say to yourself, "I've just made him look 100 times better. Why should I stop there? I hate how he (Fill in the blank)". You've just successfully performed Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

What started with clothes has now progressed to every aspect of his life! The type of friends he has, the jokes he tells, and soon enough he's wrapped around your little demonic finger.

There's no turning back. Once you've had that kind of power, how could you give it up? But as a Lending Hand I'm telling you...Nay, I'm Demanding you to stop!

This can only turn out bad if you keep it up. I know, I know. The girlfriend givith, the girlfriend taketh away. Little do you know that sooner or later he will bite the hand that feeds. Guys, if they have any balls, will let some changes happen. Changes such as the clothes as long as they get something in return. But once you cross into the, "You can't be friends with him because I don't like him" line, then you will run into one of two people.

1) The weak one of the herd. This runt was weak to begin with and will ditch his friends because he doesn't have a pair and most likely won't grow any. Why would you want to be with such a weak individual? I know, your self esteem is so low that you need to control someone. You don't have to be Dr. Phil or Oprah to figure that out.

or

2) My kind of man. Once you tell him what he can and can't do, you'll see him put his foot down! You're either going to have to shut up or leave. My advice? Simple, it is to shut up. Who are you to tell him who he can be friends with? The thing about it is he has nothing to lose. You already put the time and effort into making him appealing and now he's going to be out there reaping the benefits while you look for your next project.

So I extend this Olive Branch to you and tell you that you can change his clothes and hair, but you will never be able to teach an old dog, new tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment